Saturday, April 24, 2004

I am the happiest kid in the world today.

The park near our house is really big. It borders the river and stretches back to the highway. There's a bike path, and a hill, and a playground with swings and a slide, and trees. Along the riverbank there are two big trees that grow almost horizontal out over the river. It's like a dream come true, this park. I can't think of a better way to kill a saturday than sprawled on the grass under the sun, breathing in the sweet chalky playground dust in Abu's fur as I listen to the wind and scribble in my notebook.

Today she learned to go on the slide. She appears to like it, but she prefers if I go first. We slide down, all static clingy, and then tear around the playstructure, to where she needs a lift up the first step.

A pack of kids discovered my talented sliding dog, and so she was kept busy racing from kid to kid. That's how she got all dusty. Now she's laying beside me, leaned up against me, watching kids ride by on their bikes. Eventually we have to go home. Already my stomach is growling, but I can't be bothered to move, because the sun is so warm on my back.

This place is a gift from God, and I am immeasurable grateful. I look forward to the summer here. Moving to Regina is becoming more and more a probability, but for the time being I'm thrilled with the current arrangement.


I found a buck fifty on the way home. What a nice day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger