Tuesday, November 11, 2003

So, I went to see Matrix Revolutions today.

Most of the reviews I've heard have been negative..... and I have to say..... I mean..... what exactly were you expecting?

Did you think that any other installment of the Matrix could come close to the first? Did you think maybe Keanu had finally learned to act?? Were you hoping that Hollywood had forgotten it's preoccupation with idealized love and sex?

Do you feel ripped off that you just didn't "get it?"

Tell me you weren't just dying for answers within 5 minutes of the film starting. Tell me that you weren't frustrated, compelled, gripped by the suspense. Tell me it wasn't a skillfully put together picture, tell me the graphics weren't incredible.

I mean, really? Have we become such a demanding public that it's not enough for a movie to have action and romance and graphics and special effects and suspense..... Now it also has have perfect dialogue and a profound message about the meaning of life, and we want it in single syllable words that we can understand immediately without needing to search it out?

It's a movie!!

One thing that I especially appreciated was the incorporation of japanime culture... After watching a lot of extra material, particularly the Animatrix, I learned that the wakowski brothers have a real fascination with japanese and manga culture and so a lot of the principles that you find in japanese animation are present in the way the film is presented. Recognizing this while watching it really heightened my enjoyment. For example, if you've ever spent any time appreciating Dragonball Z (any galactic battle between any two super powerful fighters will do) then you'll notice the similarities between the cartoon and the final battle between Neo and Agent Smith.

Sure, Neo and Trinity...... give me a break. Shut up and get the job done already (love love mush mush.... there's just not time, dammit!!) Morpheus? Loosen up. Too many words? Maybe. But I was on the edge of my seat. I experienced anger, frustration, fear, nervousness, and joyful victory.

I enjoyed the movie, but for those who haven't yet seen it, I would say this. Don't try figuring it out as soon as it starts. Take it all in, watch the pretty stuff, and when it's all done, and you've got all the details but still don't get it, don't worry about it. Go see it again.

Or wait till you can rent Reloaded and Revolutions both, watch them together, which is the only way either of them will make sense anyways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger