Thursday, May 05, 2005

After giving the last weekend some thought, my brain has gone in a very different direction than one might expect. I think I'm gonna look into the big sister program or some other one on one mentoring program with the kids in the neighborhood, and take advantage of the summer by getting to know the kids around here.

There are no bad kids. That doesn't mean I'll take the padlocks off the gates.

Sometimes my neighborhood reminds me of being in africa. I get that feeling of not understanding the people and culture in which I find myself immersed. The people here are primarily native american, and sadly, many stereotypes appear to apply. These are not bad people, but they are people I don't understand and feel intimidated by. I visibly stand out so I feel vulnerable. All the while I see these kids running around like wild animals and my heart goes out to them.

I keep thinking about this cycle of poverty I keep hearing about, what it does to people, how it makes them act, how it keeps them stuck. I keep asking myself why a kid steals a dog. Every kid needs a dog because every kid needs a friend.

I feel bad that that kid doesn't have a dog of his own.

What was that Jesus said?? If a man takes your coat, don't ask for it back. Does that apply to dogs? Is there a reason for everything? I can't get these kids out of my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger