Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Today I took what Nancy refers to as a "Mental Health Day"

Basically, I called in sick to recover my sanity after a stupid weekend. I felt guilty at first, but seeing the vast improvement in my emotional condition, I think that it was the right thing to do. Is that possible? In society where high integrity and hard work are not overly rewarded, could it be possible that my well-being should be my primary concern?

I've been approaching a basic turning point in my thinking, and it has something to do with emotional responsibility.

Everyone has responsibilities, but sometimes people walk along and put stuff on us that never belonged there...... My shoulders are only so broad. Thus, I need to sort the responsibilities that are inherently mine, and put down those that have been wrongfully placed on me.

Easier said than done. I would like to be selfless and strong, just carry everything, but as it turns out, this is one of the few things that I simply cannot do. I've been staggering along, sustained by sheer will alone, since the day my mom stuck me on a bus with Chifunda to visit my dad in the city, and it's been one foot in front of the other ever since.

But I'm beginning to understand that the burdens I often bear are not rightfully mine, and so the time may be approaching to say "NOOOOOOOOO."

And then again, "NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO! No. Sorry but no."

Easier said than done.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger