Sunday, November 30, 2003

Funny story....

Bit of background. I'm at church, and all the house-group leaders are sharing a little about what their group is about and what they do. Jason asks me to go up with him and say a few words. I comply. We go up there, and Jason makes a comment about how there are couples that go to our housegroup, and singles, of which Leila here is one..... single, that is. I give him a 'look' a few people laugh. I say my piece. I return to my seat.

After church is over I stand with Yvonne drinking cofee and chatting. I comment (with extreme sarcasm) that I am shocked that hundres of guys aren't chasing me down, after Jason's comment. "Yeah," she says, "I was wondering how many phone numbers you got." I laugh, and she begins to say something else, but was unable to finish since she was cut off by a tall dark guy with blue eyes. He cut into our conversation and thrust out his hand to shake mine, saying "I just wanted to say hi," and something else, which I can't remember.

Yvonne stands there shocked, and I extend my hand and say hi. I am as shocked as Yvonne, but for a different reason. This is my "ex-boyfriend" (for lack of a more appropriate term) and I haven't seen him in two years. His impeccable timing and quick departure have left me stunned and confused.

After he leaves I'm quick to explain to Yvonne that I know him.

Clark's recent post about a trip to Walmart has contributed to my growing concern about the environment. At work I had already been taking extra garbage runs in order to make sure that paper gets recycled. Since Clark's post I've found myself opting out of plastic bags a couple of times. A single bag of chips, for example, does not need to be placed in yet another bag.

If I multiply the amount of waste I produce (paper and plastic alone) and multiply that the millions of people kicking around in just Canada...... I can almost hear the ominous rumbling of a majestic forest falling down dead. I picture mountains of unnecessary trash sweeping across the prairies like a monstrous stinking glacier.

It's true. I am a tree hugger. I always have been. I love trees, I love forests, I love hammocks overlooking pristine lakes shaded by pine needles. I love the smell of earth and leaves and wind, I love the soft ground breathing under my feet. I love moss covered rocks surrounded by cranberry bushes, lounging and eating and smelling and resting and marinating in the peaceful atmosphere of a forest.... any forest.

In a world where forests are hard to come by..... I am a sad, stressed little girl.

So let's use less plastic, shall we? For once, Clark and I agree!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger