Saturday, September 06, 2003

Tonight Clark and I made sushi.

Just in case some of you don't know, Clark is my roommate, and Clark is a girl. Yes, I call her Clark, and many other people do, too. But Clark is not her real name, and she is most certainly a girl. She introduced me to sushi, and then taught me how to make it. In doing so, she has greatly improved the quality of my life and I am ever so grateful.

Lots of people have really negative experiences with roommates. People ask me how I like living with someone else with this look on their face like they're getting ready to listen to my tirade of miserableness. They always look so surprised when I tell them I love it. I love where I live and I love my roommate and I have no complaints. And I love sushi.

Today I found a new spot at work to spend my lunches and breaks. Behind one of the buildings that I seldom go behind there's a trail that leads down to the river. It goes through the bush and around a corner and leads to a large flat slab of concrete that sticks out into the water. Sitting there, you can almost pretend you're not in a city..... if you couldn't hear the cars flying down the Chief Peguis Trail. Since I ran out of work about an hour into the day, I had plenty of time to "pick up trash along the river bank" and so I found a couple spots that I really like.

I was thinking today that I'd be perfectly happy just to walk naked into the forest and disappear forever. I'd become a nomad and skantily clothe myself in animal skins, live off fish and berries and stealthily make my way down to the redwood forests where I'd while away the cold winter months with the coons and bears. Meanwhile in Manitoba, Mounties scouring the countryside for my rotting remains would find only my clothing, folded neatly on the side of the road that winds through the Sandilands Provincial Forest. I'd never be seen again. But I'd steal a laptop from someone and keep on blogging, so I wouldn't get too lonely. I'd live the rest of my days, eating fish and berries, tanned as a coconut, rich in vitamin D, gloriously solitary yet just connected enough to retain a granule of sanity.

Yeah, I'd be down with that. In my fantasies at least, but I guess I know that wouldn't do the trick for me. It wouldn't be fulfilling. I would eventually wind up in random campgrounds, making friends with kids until their parents got all protective and called the park ranger on me, and then I'd slink back into the trees and wander around feeling all melancholy until I found another campground.

Because as much as I don't really like humans as a general rule, I still must surround myself with friends, and therein lies the rub. I like my friends, and I want them around...... but I also want to magically disappear...... but I can't cuz I want my friends around..... dammit I'm having a bad day.

goodnight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger