Sunday, May 22, 2005

Well, I took Abu for a walk.

A neighborhood kid who I have gotten to know brought a puppy out to see Abu. She said she had found it in the back alley, and was going to ask her dad if she could keep it, and she wanted to know if I would give her dog food.

I told her, that if she wanted to have a dog, then she needed to be able to get it dog food. I had a feeling that her parents wouldn't allow her to keep the dog. I looked at the puppy.... she was maybe three months old. She was all black, aside from a bit of white on her chin, and a bit of white on her chest. Really, she looked a lot like Abu did as a puppy, though her head was a little small and her tail more whiplike. I knew that she would wind up right back in that alley. I knew it.

So I said it. I said "if your dad says no, you bring her to my house, and I'll make sure she finds a good home." That's what I said. I said it twice for good measure. Then I went to my roomie's parents for dinner.

I came home to find the girl on her bike, and the puppy following her, in front of my house, waiting for me to come home. "dad said no," she said, so together we brought the puppy into my house. I knew how that little girl felt. I had seen earlier that day that the puppy had already bonded to her. "I'm gonna miss her" she said. I assured her that she would find a home with lots of food and lots of love, and that I'd let her know what happened.

So that's that. For a little while at least, we have a new member in this household. I've named her Suki, meaning "beloved." I plan to find her a home where she will be exactly that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger