Thursday, January 13, 2005

I had so many thing to rant on..... until I checked the mail.

Letters from my boys at the Dixville Children's Village in Liberia. They were carried into North America by returning missionaries, passed on to Rafiki, and then mailed to me. That's how a letter with neither sender or addressee makes it from a country with no postal service to my mailbox.

The letters have many stickers on them, which carry immense worth on an orphanage. I love to see the familiar handwriting. Frank must have wrote a hundred sponsor letters for children too young to spell, so I'm very familiar with his handwriting, and his characteristic replacement of "are" for "I". Many of their spelling mistakes spring from their unusual enunciation of the english language, which refer to as Liberian english. They refer to what we speak as "serious english" and find it very difficult to understand.

There is a picture of both Frank and Randall in their school uniforms, standing in front of one of the dorms. Frank wears a white button-up t-shirt with another white shirt underneath, tucked into his purple pants. Randall's t-shirt is baggy and untucked with a company logo in the corner, and he wears a necklace with a cross. Both of them have very serious expressions on their faces. Frank looks almost angry, while Randall looks more sad and resigned. I don't know how they managed to get a photo of themselves. I'll post it as soon as I get it scanned.

I have such a place in my heart for these boys. There were lots of kids that I got to know, but these two just captured me. I would adopt them in a heartbeat, even though they're 13. I hope and pray I see them again. Rafiki knows someone who's going out there later this month so I need to get some pictures ready.... I have no printer and all my pictures are digital.... so this could get involved.

If you would like to know how you can have a meaningful relationship with a child who has no-one to love him/her, email me, and I will help you. It's only $30 to sponsor a child, but if you think it would be fun just to write, I can help you out with that too. You will never regret it. These kids just want to know that someone out there cares if they live or die, and when they do, their lights just come on. It's beautiful to see. Just look at these wonderful kids!



Allow me to close with an exerpt from Randall's letter:

I hope that you are coming on well with life. Already I am missing you and our time together. I pray for you and the family every day and night and hope and pray that God will give me the opportunities to see you and the family and have fun together. I am well and doing well in school. I have been praying for you to have a very good job and God have answer my prayer. I know that God is great and He dwell in us. I know that God have giving you to me as a blessing in my life to be my sister because I do not have a family. I have been on this mission for many years and no one write me or sent me any things but you are the only person that write me.When I recieve your letter I was excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger