Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Well it's been an interesting day in the chat rooms.

I don't usually go into chat rooms. They've de-evolved into cybersex orgies. Somehow that doesn't interest me. Couldn't say why.

There's a place called habbohotel.com where you can make a little graphic person called a habbo and then you move your little guy around in an environment with chairs and couches and restaurants and rooms that you can create and customize and have your friends in.

I drop in every now and then but the visual setting is someone intimidating.... It's funny.... in a chat room, with just a list of people's names, I can just click on someone and start a conversation, be cheeky or sarcastic or pry into their personal lives, but at habbo hotel you actually have to walk up to people and start talking. It's amazing how different it feels.

I hung out there tonight. I went and sat down beside someone who was sitting alone, and said hi. She promptly got up and sat down at a different table. Can you imagine if that really happened? That's the realization of the fears that keep me from talking to strangers. It was so rude.

BUT it's just a chat room. After staring at the screen in confusion and uncertainty for about a minute, I decided to embrace the moment. I followed the girl, sat down beside her again, and said "hi." this time she said hi back, but then I was booted from the network. don't know why. I logged back in and tried a different room, where I quickly met a very interesting girl from calgary. That was cool. I was glad I went. Maybe Habbo Hotel can help me overcome my trepidation in group settings.

Or maybe i need to spend less time on my computer.

Or...... maybe I need to spend MORE time on my computer.

Depends on how you look at it.

Lately I've been feeling more interested in people than I'm used to. It's reminiscent of my 16-19 years. I like it. Self-centeredness is so draining. It's so easy to sink into, but it's so nice to think about other people. Along that line I've got a couple emails to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger