Friday, July 02, 2004

The best thing about living in someone else's house, is that when people come to the door trying to peddle subscriptions, all you have to say is "I don't live here and the people who do aren't home."

Of course it just occurred to me that they might decide to call the cops....

At least I got a free newspaper out of the interruption. Soon as I read this article on Hussein, I'll be sure to comment on it.

My melancholy mood has persisted, tempered only Abu's charm and the knowledge that tomorrow I will hang out with my friend from Regina, who I will be living with in the fall.... assuming all things fall into place. Hanging out with her on thursday night was a relief, an assurance that my plans for the fall are a reality and that things will work out.

Took Abu to the fireworks, she got scared out of her mind. I've noticed that all my hard work at socializing her has paid off. She can now walk past humans without any fuss. She can walk down crowded sidewalks without misbehaving.

I leave this place in one week. I will get in a plane and fly across the ocean and when I get off the plane I will smell that smell that cannot be described but only smelled for oneself... that mixture of humidity and hot wind and sweet fruit and dry grass..... the first thing I plan on doing when arriving in Africa is to take a big.... long..... deep breath.

It's starting to sink in. I'm starting to look forward to it. I only know one human on our team, and I'm starting to look forward to meeting everyone else, making new friends. Warm dirt all over my feet, sleeping warm with only a sheet, with one bare leg pressed against the cold stone walls....

Looking forward to getting on that plane and forgetting about all my worries here at home.... because thinking about them won't do me a lick of good anyways. Lean my head back and hug my teddy bear and enjoy the ride, and the sights, and the peanuts.

One week.....

Will I make it???

I will miss Abu so much....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger