Monday, June 28, 2004

Sushi is not raw fish. It is a method of food preparation which may or may not include raw fish. It is good. I like it very much, but the only sushi I've ever had is the stuff I make at home, which Clark introduced to me. It wasn't until saturday night that I ventured into an actual sushi bar.

My friends Jocelyn and Kitbe took me out. They're from Malaysia, and so they're somewhat more familiar than I am with a variety of asian foods. They asked me what I'd like, and I told them to order what they thought was good, and I'd give it all a try. They raised the eyebrows at that, but really..... why go to a sush bar and just get the same stuff you make in your kitchen? If you're gonna go to a sushi bar, you ought to try something you've never tried. Right?

For the record, however, I've never been keen on the idea of raw fish. I never tried it, and I knew one day I would..... but I wasn't in a hurry. It's lucky that I'm not as picky a eater as I used to be. Two years ago in Zambia I was chowing down on caterpillars. As a child I wouldn't eat most of what was put in front of me. On saturday I popped a roll of Salmon Roe in my mouth..... those are eggs. They looked like frog eggs, except they were orange.

"Hi Nemo!!!" and in they go. Then the slab of raw salmon laying across a blob of rice and a dab of wasabi. then the deep fried soft shell crab.... it's legs poking out of the roll like a giant spider.... that one was REALLY good.

All apprehension aside, I have to ask.... what's the big deal? Why's everyone so terrified of raw fish? It tastes fine, the texture's not so unusual. Why are people so afraid of trying new things? People in Japan have been eating raw fish for years.... they don't seem to be suffering for it.

I know, I know. It's a mental thing. Here in civilized society we understand that if it used to be alive, it ought to be cooked. Here in civilized society we roast our pork and barbecue our steak and boil our potatoes.... and it's all so damn boring I might as well be eating cardboard.

I guess civilization is highly overrated, if in fact civilization is equated with cooked meat, which it clearly is not. After all, wasn't it the Chinese who were so appalled by the stench of those dirty Europeans? Seems like it's always the people trying to fix everyone else who need to think about making some changes.... like bathing....

Where was I? Oh yeah, sushi. It's quite good. I shall look forward to my next asian eating adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger