Friday, March 12, 2004

There's a difference between my life, and their lives.

That's not to say that their lives don't affect mine. That I don't hurt when they hurt, that their state of mind doesn't affect my peace of mind. These things are part of life, relationships, existing on a planet full of humans. I'm learning to accept the relational aspect of life in general, along with the pain that involves.

It is ever so easy in the eye of the storm to lose sight of God's blessings. It's easy to let someone else's grief become your own. It's easy, particularly for someone like me (and a couple others I know) to pull a hero, and then wake up buried in burdens....

But what if I separate myself from them? What if I take a moment to ask myself what God is doing in my life?

When I do that, I remember that my life is rife with blessing. I have a home that I love, surrounded by wonderful people who care about me. I'm safe and secure and I'm going to Africa. I HAVE CABLE TV AND CALL DISPLAY!! Seriously. I like my job, and since it doesn't pay enough, God has provided me with a SECOND job!! Then He gave me the health and energy to pull it all off, and a puppy for my birthday!!

This is all circumstantial. The book I was just reading followed a character from positions of great priviledge, to great poverty, to torturous tribulation, and round about and back again. Life is a story. My life is a story, and it intertwines and comes into contact with other stories. This is one chapter of a story that might last 60 more years, and might end tomorrow. But when it's over, all loose ends will be tied up. If I can remember that, my faith won't be shaken when the circumstances favor me less.

But you know, when it's all over, I can't point my finger at God and accuse Him of distance, or lack of empathy. I can't tell Him that He didn't know how much it hurt. He knows.... He chose to place Himself in a position that would create a kinship with me. He faced the limitations of humanity and now makes a claim that no other god can make.

Regardless of all His blessings, all flesh is still grass, and it grows in a hostile environment. Tragedy will strike because this is planet earth. But God cannot abandon, and God does not ignore.

That goes for my dad, stepmom, Fuzzy and Pooky. So I can put them all down and step back into the trail that God has already blazed for me. I notice that He planted flowers on His way through. Rain or shine, I can't forget to thank Him for the flowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger