Sunday, March 14, 2004

I must say, this weekend has quickly dissolved, and the week ahead looks like a holiday since I'll only be working one job. It's amazing what those few extra hours can do to you..... it doesn't seem like much, but the body knows..... the body complains.....

Went to my parents' so they could do a birthday dinner for me, a week late on account of all that business with my stepmom, and having Fuzzy over last weekend, and all that unpleasant jazz..... and I took a friend of the family with, since she was invited, and as we were driving back to the city, the roads were terrible. I was taking it slow, trying to focus on finding the lines in the road..... when the lights went out.

No, not the lights on my car. Those work fine. Not the street lights..... there are no streetlights on the highway. In fact, there were no lights to be seen for miles around..... nothing lighting up billboards, no small towns, no farms with their spotlights, no lights anywhere.....

And yet, the lights went out. Or at least, it suddenly became infinitely darker. Joc and I both had a small fit.... because after all, how does a black night with no lights in the middle of blowing snow get even darker???

I don't know. It happened several times on the stretch of the Transcanada highway that leads from Winnipeg's south end to the turnoff to Steinbach. I have never experienced anything like it, and it was weird. To offset the weirdness, I told Joc about how my dad saw a UFO on my first birthday when he was on one of his long distance drives.

Actually, I don't think that helped the weirdness at all.

So then I pulled out the christianese and explained about how we were leaving the blessed angelic covering of the Bible Belt and proceeding into the spiritual darkness that is Winnipeg. This didn't help either..... she told me to turn around and stay in Steinbach.

Well I wasn't going to bow to the powers of darkness, Praise God, and in a tone that was dangerously close to mockery I proceeded to invoke God's protection as I blundered headlong into the darkness, which frequently continued to get darker.

Yeah...... I can talk the talk.

I try not to speak that language too often, and when I do, it's usually a joke. But really, I meant it. Whatever's going on in this world.... it gets crazier and crazier, and what is left for us if not God's protection?

We got home safe. Coo, yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger