Sunday, January 25, 2004

Well now, this has been a mostly productive day.

I managed to do some laundry, and then took myself down to the zoo to hang out in the tropical house. That was nice, and made me feel better, though it wasn't quite what the doctor ordered. It doesn't smell quite right in there, and Kookaburras shouldn't be in cages while doves fly free. Nevertheless, I took off my sweater and mitts and strolled around..... around and around in my t-shirt, listening to the birds sing and searching for feathers. I noticed a nice sitting spot up high on some of the fake rocks, but I figured I'd get kicked out if I climbed up there.

I wasn't there long before they closed, so I drove through the park to the Conservatory, where they have two large greenhouses complete with benches and a restaurant. For another half hour I strolled between Norfolk Island Pines and Banana trees, Amazon lilies, and some hanging monstrosity that looked like a gigantic pine cone shaped tumor with long green leaves sprouting out of it.

Standing between the two Norfolk Pine trees, I marvelled at their coloring. They looked so fake. The needles looked like rubber. So making sure no one was looking, I plucked a tiny needled twig from a larger branch. Instantly the aroma of pine trees reached me, and as I inspected the broken end of the twig, I concluded that, strangely enough, they had indeed coaxed a majestic pine to crouch in that tiny glass cage.

I thought, how wonderful it would be if this was my house. No walls, no doors, no stairs. Just trees, inside, and birds, and I'd build my bed over there on that outcropping of volcanic rocks, where I could see everything. And beside my bed would grow a banana tree, from which I would pluck my breakfast each morning. The chirping of crickets would sing me to sleep and the morning doves would wake me, and each night I would lay on my back in my bed and breathe in pine and exhale bliss, watch the stars turn above the glass ceiling.

On my way out I passed a wishing pond with goldfish and turtles. A couple standing beside me was tossing coins in. I waited till they left, and then tossed in a penny, making a wish. Then on second thought, I tossed in a dime, making the same wish.

A wish that comes true, after all, is worth a great deal more than a penny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger