Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Do you remember watching those cartoons as a kid where the hero was pursued by a big snarly monstrous beast? The critter, be it a dinosaur or a bear or a wolf or sea serpent, would foil all their plans and try to eat them and get in the way in every possible circumstance. Almost invariably, you would find out at the end that the monster had a splinter in its paw..... or foot..... or hoof..... or something painful caught in its teeth.

Our hero, let's say Astroboy, would then remove the splinter or other distressing implement, and the monster's eyes would soften, growling would turn to fond affection, and the threat would become an invaluable ally.

Tell me you remember. That you felt sorry for the monster, that you were suddenly gripped with understanding and compassion, and celebrated the happy ending. I loved those stories, I expected them. I believed that they were true in my life, and so I feared no living beast (lucky for me, I encountered few beasts)

But why do I forget to apply it when it comes to the humans I come into contact with. I mean, don't we always find it true, that the people that lash out the most are merely reacting to some painful injury that no-one has yet cared enough to heal?

So many people are being eaten away from the inside by the poison of anger and bitterness..... and aren't they the ones who seem so hard, unapproachable, quick to strike....

Can we give them a reason to soften? Can I? Am I willing to invest in the healing of my peers?

Hmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger