Saturday, June 05, 2004

The thing about housesitting (which is what I'm up to this weekend) is that you're alone in someone else's house. I always enjoy housesitting, but like I've said a million times before, I could never live alone. This whole house is empty, aside from the dogs, who can't be persuaded to come inside on account of how they enjoy one another's company so much, they must run around in the grass together. They could play inside together, except that the dog who lives here isn't allowed downstairs, where I am spending most of my time (tv, computer) while Abu must stay where I can keep an eye on her, since we're still working on house training.

It's good to see the two of them getting along so well. There have been no aggressive incidents, and they like playing tug of war with abu's chicken toy. You don't see a couple of dogs playing tug of war with toys very often, at least I haven't seen it since I was very young, and Kelly and Belle were still alive, and they would always grapple over Kelly's frisbee.

Those two dogs taught me everything I know of importance, or at least all that foundational stuff that you're suppposed to learn as a kid. Things like sharing and looking both ways before you cross the street, looking out for others, finishing what you started, taking pride in what you do well, and they always led me home when I got lost in the woods. Good dogs. Your classic old school stereotypical German Shepherds. Kelly used to pull me by the diaper when I got too close to staircases. I was born with her watching over me, wearing that silly cowboy hat and riding with my dad on the motorcycle.

I remember..... my mom was homeless for a while when she had Kelly, and me too. There was a short time when she couldn't keep Kelly with her because a landlord said she couldn't have dogs. Yet there was Kelly the day I came home from the hospital, and she kept a close eye until I was 11 years old. That dog is so woven into my childhood memories that I can seldom separate the two. Belle came along when I was six. She was my dog, in theory at least. She accompanied me everywhere until she died in my arms when I was 17.

This morning I woke up and sat on the floor with Abu as she snuggled up to my side while chewing on her pink blankie. I feel so overwhelmed. I know she's only a dog, but she's also my responsibility. I took on this responsibility thinking I could handle it, and now the future is questionable for both of us. Still I have to cling to God's gifts and His promises. If I can't hold on to those, then what is there on this earth that is worth all the work we do?

I ran a search and contacted someone who's looking for a renter. She said she'd be happy to have us for the summer, provided we're out by the time students are looking for places, since she herself is a student and needs the house full for the school year. So I'll contact her again on monday while I continue to investigate options. I SO don't want to move again, but the idea of sending Abu away just kills me. Probably just for selfish reasons. I've grown accustomed to her presence in the room. How could I sleep without her nearby, who would I greet in the morning? Whose piss would I clean up? hehehehehe...... hmmmm......

So I guess we'll see. I feel better now than when I wrote that last post. Calmer. We'll be okay. God never relinquishes control. If He cares so much about sparrows and grass, then He must have some concern for a backwoods punk and a north end scrub. Right? Right. There's nothing I can do right now. So I might as well relax and enjoy the time I have to myself, though the silence here sounds so unnatural.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

my site feed
powered by blogger